After prevailing against Korihor, who had challenged his authority and teachings, Alma turned his attention to a group of people who “were perverting the ways of the Lord.” As the high priest of the church, Alma decided to visit them in their land, Antionum.
He assembled a “dream team” of missionaries to accompany him:
- Three of the sons of Mosiah (Ammon, Aaron, and Omner)
- Two of his converts from Ammonihah (Amulek and Zeezrom)
- Two of his sons (Shiblon and Corianton)
Arriving in Antionum, after being blessed by Alma, missionaries spread out to teach the people. Alma and Amulek were approached by a group of poor Zoramites who had been excluded from the synagogue because of their poverty. They wanted to know what they could do, since they had no place to worship God.
Alma and Amulek’s goal in preaching this sermon was to fortify the faith of a humble group of people and to help them better understand how to worship God.
- Alma teaches the Zoramites about faith (Alma 32).
- It is good that you are humble. Humility sometimes leads to repentance, which leads to mercy (Alma 32:8-13).
- “Blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble” (Alma 32:14-16).
- “Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things” (Alma 32:17-21).
- God wants you, first, to believe on His word (Alma 32:22-23).
- I believe that some of you would humble yourselves without being compelled to be humble (Alma 32:24-25).
- Alma compares the word of God to a seed, in order to illustrate the principle of faith (Alma 32:26-43).
- Alma teaches that they should center their faith in the Son of God (Alma 33).
- [The people ask another question: How should they begin to exercise their faith?] (Alma 33:1)
- The scriptures teach that you do not have to be in a synagogue to worship (Alma 33:2).
- Example #1: Zenos spoke about praying in many places—the wilderness, his field, his house. He taught that God blesses us because of His Son. (Alma 33:3-14).
- Example #2: Zenock also taught that God has mercy on us because of His Son (Alma 33:15-17).
- Example #3: Moses lifted a serpent in the wilderness as a symbol of Christ. Many people did not look because they didn’t believe it would heal them (Alma 33:18-21).
- Admonition: Plant this word in your hearts, and nourish it by your faith (Alma 33:22).
- Amulek teaches them about the Atonement of Jesus Christ (Alma 34:1-16).
- You must know these things. You learned them before your dissension from us (Alma 34:2).
- Alma has exhorted you to have faith, and he has quoted scripture to prove that “the word is in Christ unto salvation (Alma 34:3-7).
- I know of myself that we can be saved through the Atonement of Jesus Christ (Alma 34:8-16).
- Amulek encourages them to exercise their faith unto repentance (Alma 34:17-41).
- Cry unto God in your fields, in your closets, in your wilderness (Alma 34:17-27).
- If you are not charitable, your prayer is vain (Alma 34:28-29).
- Admonition #1: “Do not procrastinate the day of your repentance” (Alma 34:30-36).
- Admonition #2: “Work out your salvation with fear before God” (Alma 34:37-38).
- Admonition #3: “Be watchful unto prayer continually” (Alma 34:39).
- Admonition #4: “Have patience, and bear with [your] afflictions” (Alma 34:40-41).
The leaders of the Zoramites were angry with Alma and Amulek. All of the people who believed in their words were cast out and migrated to the land of Jershon. The Zoramites tried to convince the people in Jershon not to receive these refugees, and even threatened them. The people in Jershon ignored the threats. They welcomed and took care of the poor Zoramites who came to their city.
It’s okay to have questions, and it’s okay to be uncomfortable. Sometimes that discomfort leads us to exercise faith and repent, which allows us to receive God’s mercy. I will respond to Alma and Amulek’s message by letting my own afflictions humble me and by turning my gaze heavenward. I will exercise faith by praying to God continually and by patiently waiting for His blessings.
Blog Posts about Alma and Amulek’s Sermon to the Zoramites
- What Is the Tree of Life? (2/7/2019)
- What Does It Mean for Our Garments to Be “Washed White Through the Blood of the Lamb?” (2/1/2019)
- How Is the Word “Atonement” Used in the Book of Mormon? (1/30/2019)
- What Is the Relationship Between Faith and Patience? (1/13/2019)
- What Is the Relationship Between Faith and Knowledge? (1/8/2019)
- For the Welfare of Those Who Are Around You – Alma 34:27-28 (11/29/2017)
- Thou Didst Hear Me – Alma 33:3-11 (11/13/2017)
- It Is on the One Hand Even as It Is on the Other – Alma 32:19-20 (11/12/2017)
- He Did Say No More to the Other Multitude – Alma 32:6-7 (11/11/2017)
- In a Preparation to Hear the Word – Alma 32:6 (3/13/2017)
- Live in Thanksgiving Daily – Alma 34:37-38 (11/24/2016)
- Faith unto Repentance – Alma 34:15-17 (10/15/2016)
- Immediately – Alma 34:31 (10/10/2016)
- In a Preparation to Hear the Word – Alma 32:6 (9/26/2016)
- He Turned Him About – Alma 32:4-7 (8/27/2016)
- Live in Thanksgiving Daily – Alma 34:38 (5/5/2016)
- Because of Your Diligence and Your Faith and Your Patience – Alma 32:41-43 (4/11/2016)
- If Ye Turn Away the Needy – Alma 34:28 (4/4/2016)
- Without Being Compelled to Be Humble – Alma 32:15-16 (3/25/2016)
- That Ye May Be Humble – Alma 32:12-15 (3/24/2016)
- By Your Faith with Great Diligence and Patience – Alma 32:41-43 (3/17/2016)
- Things Which are Not Seen, Which Are True – Alma 32:21 (2/29/2016)
- I Will Testify unto You of Myself – Alma 34:7-8 (7/21/2015)
- Cry Unto Him over the Crops of Your Fields – Alma 34:24-25 (7/20/2015)
- That Same Spirit – Alma 34:33-35 (7/20/2015)
- Whosoever Would Look Upon It Might Live – Alma 33:19-21 (7/18/2015)
- Thou Art Merciful, O God – Alma 33:4-11 (7/17/2015)
- Little Children Do Have Words Given unto Them – Alma 32:23 (7/16/2015)
- Is Your Knowledge Perfect? – Alma 32:34-36 (7/16/2015)
- Only According to That Which Is True – Alma 32:24-25 (7/15/2015)
- Because Ye Are Compelled to Be Humble – Alma 32:12-13 (7/14/2015)
- When Alma Heard This, He Turned Him About – Alma 32:4-7 (7/12/2015)
- Alma 34:20-21, 24-25 Cry Unto Him When Ye Are In Your Fields (11/14/2014)
- Alma 32:38-39 If Ye Neglect the Tree… (11/13/2014)