Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints follow a curriculum called “Come, Follow Me” for gospel study in church classes, with their families, and as individuals, Because the course of study for 2020 is the Book of Mormon, I’ve decided to organize my study around this year’s curriculum.
- I will follow the schedule given in the manual “Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families: Book of Mormon 2020.”
- Each Sunday, I will write an overview post, summarizing the reading and sharing some of my insights into that week’s assignment.
- Monday through Saturday, I will write a post each day based on my study of that week’s reading.
I hope the insights I share are useful to you this year. Please feel free to comment on my posts or send me questions that come up in your study.
Weekly Overview Posts
- Easter: “He Shall Rise…with Healing in His Wings” (March 30-April 12) - For the next two weeks, instead of having a specific reading assignment, we will prepare for Easter Sunday by studying the life, death, resurrection, and atoning power of Jesus Christ. Here are some passages from the Book of Mormon which teach about these topics: 1 Nephi 10:4-11 – Lehi prophesies about the Savior’s life 1... Continue Reading →
- Enos-Words of Mormon: He Works in Me to Do His Will (March 23-29) - Imagine if you were responsible for a sacred record created by your ancestors. Your duty is to protect it and to add to it. The earlier keepers of the record have filled many of the pages with miraculous stories and powerful spiritual experiences. What would you write? This week, we are studying the words of... Continue Reading →
- Jacob 5-7: “The Lord Labors with Us” (March 16-22) - God labors patiently on our behalf. Even though we may appear at first to be unresponsive to His invitations, He doesn’t give up on us. That’s Jacob’s message in chapters 5-7 of his book. The Allegory of the Olive Tree (Jacob 5-6) In response to the question, “How can people who have rejected the truth... Continue Reading →
- Jacob 1-4: “Be Reconciled unto God through the Atonement of Christ” (March 9-15) - Jacob understood the importance of gospel teaching and took his responsibilities seriously. His brother Nephi, who had consecrated him as “a priest and a teacher” over their people (2 Nephi 5:26, Jacob 1:18), had commanded him to write sermons, revelations, and prophecies on the plates “for Christ’s sake, and for the sake of our people”... Continue Reading →
- 2 Nephi 31-33: “This Is the Way” (March 2-8) - “A few words which I must speak concerning the doctrine of Christ”—that’s how Nephi described the last three chapters of his second book. His deep desire, even urgency, to share these fundamental truths with us comes through loud and clear. With limited time and limited space on the plates, he prioritized carefully and focused on... Continue Reading →
- 2 Nephi 26-30: “A Marvelous Work and a Wonder” (February 24-March 1) - In 2 Nephi 26-30, Nephi elaborates on the words of Isaiah which he has quoted in the previous chapters. The first and the last chapters (26 and 30) emphasize God’s desire to reveal all things. The second and fourth (27 and 29) are prophecies of the role of the Book of Mormon in the restoration.... Continue Reading →
- 2 Nephi 11-25: “We Rejoice in Christ” (February 17-23) - In Nephi’s first book, he quotes Isaiah 48 and 49 (1 Nephi 20-21). In his second book, he quotes a sermon by his brother Jacob which includes Isaiah 50 and 51 (2 Nephi 7-8). Immediately after, he quotes another 13 chapters in a row: Isaiah 2-14 (2 Nephi 12-24), and then paraphrases Isaiah 29 (2 Nephi... Continue Reading →
- 2 Nephi 6-10: “O How Great the Plan of Our God!” (February 10-16) - Nephi asked his younger brother Jacob to teach the people, using a passage from Isaiah as his text (2 Nephi 6:4). The sermon Jacob delivered is recorded in 2 Nephi 6-10. It focuses on two major themes: the gathering of Israel and the Savior’s Atonement. Here is my overview of the sermon: Jacob’s First Sermon... Continue Reading →
- 2 Nephi 1-5: “We Lived after the Manner of Happiness” (February 3-9) - Near the end of his life, the prophet Lehi met with his children and grandchildren to give his final words of counsel. Here are my summaries of three of those interviews: Lehi Teaches Laman and Lemuel – 2 Nephi 1 Lehi Teaches Jacob – 2 Nephi 2 Lehi Teaches Joseph – 2 Nephi 3 After... Continue Reading →
- 1 Nephi 16-22: “I Will Prepare the Way Before You” (January 27-February 2) - After Lehi’s dream and Nephi’s vision, the family was ready to resume their journey toward the promised land. The last seven chapters of 1 Nephi describe the rest of their journey and the subsequent teachings of Nephi to his brothers. Lessons from the Journey (1 Nephi 16-18) On the morning that they left their camp, Lehi found... Continue Reading →