Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints follow a curriculum called “Come, Follow Me” for gospel study in church classes, with their families, and as individuals, Because the course of study for 2020 is the Book of Mormon, I’ve decided to organize my study around this year’s curriculum.
- I will follow the schedule given in the manual “Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families: Book of Mormon 2020.”
- Each Sunday, I will write an overview post, summarizing the reading and sharing some of my insights into that week’s assignment.
- Monday through Saturday, I will write a post each day based on my study of that week’s reading.
I hope the insights I share are useful to you this year. Please feel free to comment on my posts or send me questions that come up in your study.
Weekly Overview Posts
- 1 Nephi 16-22: “I Will Prepare the Way Before You” (January 27-February 2) - After Lehi’s dream and Nephi’s vision, the family was ready to resume their journey toward the promised land. The last seven chapters of 1 Nephi describe the rest of their journey and the subsequent teachings of Nephi to his brothers. Lessons from the Journey (1 Nephi 16-18) On the morning that they left their camp, Lehi found... Continue Reading →
- 1 Nephi 11-15: “Armed with Righteousness and with the Power of God” (January 20-26) - After hearing his father’s dream and his father’s prophecies, Nephi wanted to see the things his father had seen. As a result, he experienced an expansive, interactive vision, which enabled him to explain his father’s words to his brothers. Nephi’s Vision: The Life of Jesus Christ (1 Nephi 11) How does the birth of Jesus... Continue Reading →
- 1 Nephi 8-10: “Come and Partake of the Fruit” (Jan 13-19) - This week, we’re studying what Lehi taught his family after obtaining the brass plates and being joined by the family of Ishmael. Key Events Lehi’s dream (1 Nephi 8) Nephi explains the purposes of his two sets of plates (1 Nephi 9) Lehi teaches his family about the Savior and about the scattering and gathering... Continue Reading →
- 1 Nephi 1-7: “I Will Go and Do” (Jan 6-12) - This week, we are studying the first seven chapters in the Book of Mormon, which describe the departure of Lehi’s family from Jerusalem and the retrieval of the brass plates. Key Events Lehi sees a vision in which he learns that Jerusalem will be destroyed (1 Nephi 1) Lehi and his family leave Jerusalem (1... Continue Reading →
- Introductory Pages of the Book of Mormon (Dec 30 – Jan 5) - During the first week of 2020, we are studying the introductory pages of the Book of Mormon—all of the content which precedes 1 Nephi. What is in these pages? The Title Page of the Book of Mormon lays out the purposes of the book. The Introduction provides some background information about the book and an invitation for... Continue Reading →