Each year, I have organized my study of the Book of Mormon in a different way:
- In 2015, I studied the Book of Mormon sequentially, reading approximately two chapters every three days.
- In 2016, I studied by topic. I chose a new topic each Sunday and studied passages from the Book of Mormon which helped me better understand that topic throughout the week.
- In 2017, I studied by author. I identified the principal author of each chapter and read all of the chapters by the same author before moving on to the next one.
- In 2018, I organized my study by type of content. I identified different types of writings, including missionary stories, war stories, sermons to the church, and teachings to family members. I studied all chapters of the same type together to see what principles I could learn from each type of content. As part of that effort, I wrote a summary of each sermon in the Book of Mormon.
- In 2019, I searched for answers to 365 questions—one per day. Some of my questions were about the gospel of Jesus Christ, some were about the Book of Mormon itself, and some were practical questions about living wisely. One significant set of questions was about the names and titles of Jesus Christ, and another was about the writings of Isaiah.
In 2020, I’ve decided to organize my study around the “Come, Follow Me” curriculum for the year.
Here are a few posts summarizing what I have learned each year:
- Lessons from Missionary Experiences
- Lessons from Journeys
- Lessons from Visions and Spiritual Experiences
- Lessons from Wars
- Lessons from Chapters about Government
- Lessons from Sermons to Believers
- Lessons from Sermons to Hostile Audiences
- Lessons from Sermons to Family Members
- Lessons from Sermons to Modern Readers
- Lessons from Nephi’s Sermon on the Words of Isaiah
- Lessons about Establishing the Church
- Lessons from the Savior’s Visit to the American Continent
- Lessons from the Writings of Mormon – Part 1
- Lessons from the Writings of Mormon – Part 2
- Lessons from the Writings of Moroni
- Lessons from the Writings of Nephi
- Lessons from the Writings of Jacob
- Lessons from the Writings of Isaiah
- Lessons from Lehi
- Lessons from Alma
- Lessons from the Teachings of Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon