What this blog is…
For many years, I have made it a practice to study a passage from the Book of Mormon each morning to set the tone for my day. I have read the Book of Mormon many times, but each day I gain a little more insight as I study and consider the message of the book. In recent years, I’ve found it useful to write what I learn each day in order to ensure that I truly understand. In the process of writing, I’ve been able to work through the principles in more detail and see more clearly how I can apply them in my life. This blog is the next stage in the evolution of that process. By making the results of my daily study public, I hope to accomplish the following:
- Hold myself to a higher standard: If I really believe the principles I’m learning and if I think they are universally applicable, I should be willing to share those principles with everyone.
- Allow others to benefit from my positive experiences: I’m hopeful that the principles I learn which are meaningful in my life can be of some benefit to others as well.
- Make it interactive: I’m allowing public comments on this blog, meaning that anyone who wishes to comment on one of my posts may do so. I hope that the feedback I receive from readers will enrich my own experience of learning from the scriptures as well as the experience of all who visit the blog.
What it isn’t…
- This blog is not intended only for Mormons, or members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have enjoyed the opportunity to discuss the principles I learn from the Book of Mormon with people of many different religious faiths and have found the exchange of ideas and convictions to be productive and valuable.
- This blog is not an attempt to establish a “correct” or definitive interpretation of the Book of Mormon passages I quote. While I do believe that the principles I am learning have universal applicability, I also believe that the Book of Mormon is rich with meaning and that my own understanding of that meaning is limited. Like everyone else, I’m on a journey. I only hope that my unique perspectives will benefit some of my fellow-travelers.
- Lastly, the content of this blog does not represent the official position of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Although I am a practicing and active member of the Church, I am not a spokesperson for the Church. This blog represents my views and mine alone.
For those readers who are not familiar with the Book of Mormon and would like some background information to better understand the blog, I recommend the following two links:
- The Introduction to the Book of Mormon, which appears in the book itself, just after the title page.
- The Book of Mormon overview page on mormon.org, which contains several brief descriptions of the book, videos about the book, and a link to order a free copy of the book.
I hope that you find the blog useful and would love to hear your reactions to any of the content on it, either via a comment on a specific post or by contacting me directly.