After Mormon’s death, his son Moroni appended two chapters to his father’s book. He may have believed that these were the concluding chapters in the book. He didn’t know how much longer he would live, and there was not much space left on his father’s plates (Mormon 8:5).
His father had given him guidance about what to write (Mormon 8:1). Moroni’s main goal appears to have been to refute false ideas which would prevent people from accepting the message of the Book of Mormon.
- Introduction (Moroni 8:1-11)
- My father is dead. “I even remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of my people” (Mormon 8:1-5).
- The Lamanites have destroyed my people. Now they are at war with one another “and no one knoweth the end of the war” (Mormon 8:6-9).
- The only disciples of Christ who are left are the three Nephites. My father and I have seen them, but no one knows where they are today (Mormon 8:10-11).
- Prophesies regarding the coming forth of the Book of Mormon (Mormon 8:12-41)
- Don’t condemn this record because of its imperfections. It will be brought to you by the power of God. If you judge rashly, you will be judged rashly (Mormon 8:12-21).
- God will fulfill all of His promises, including the promise that these words will come forth (Mormon 8:22-26).
- These words will come to you in a time of turmoil: faithlessness, secret combinations, corrupt churches, and violence (Mormon 8:26-32).
- Jesus Christ has shown you to me. Most of you are proud and unresponsive to the poor and the needy among you. Therefore “the sword of vengeance hangeth over you.” (Mormon 8:33-41).
- Warnings to two groups of unbelievers (Mormon 9:1-25)
- To those who don’t believe in Christ: think about how you will be judged (Mormon 9:1-6).
- To those who believe in Christ but don’t believe in miracles: God doesn’t change. If He performed miracles in the past, He will perform miracles today and in the future, including the miracle of our redemption. If you are not experiencing miracles, it is because of your unbelief (Mormon 9:7-25).
- Words of counsel
- Conclusion: Our desire is for our brethren to be restored to the knowledge of Christ and to receive blessings through their faith in Him (Mormon 9:35-37).
There are many patterns of thought that can prevent us from recognizing and acting on the truth. Moroni had seen his modern readers in a vision and knew some of the attitudes and misperceptions which would make it hard for some people to accept his father’s words (Mormon 8:35). In the last two chapters of his father’s book, he tried to help us identify and overcome some of those obstacles, including:
- Condemning a message because the messenger is imperfect
- Refusing to believe
I will respond to Moroni’s message by avoiding rash judgements, by humbling myself and recognizing my limitations, and by choosing to believe that God can and will perform miracles on my behalf.
Blog Posts About Moroni’s First Message to His Modern Readers
- What Does the Book of Mormon Add to Our Understanding of the Resurrection? (10/4/2019)
- What Does It Mean to “Work Out Your Own Salvation?” (9/11/2019)
- What Is the Meaning of the Phrase “Vengeance Is Mine?” (8/8/2019)
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About Abraham? (7/20/2019)
- What Should I Do When I Have Doubts? (7/13/2019)
- What Are Secret Combinations? (6/25/2019)
- What Should I Do When I Feel Guilty? (6/24/2019)
- What Is a Covenant? (6/20/2019)
- Why Is Isaiah Quoted So Much in the Book of Mormon? (5/27/2019)
- What’s Wrong with Seeking Signs? (5/22/2019)
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About Happiness? (5/6/2019)
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About the Resurrection? (4/21/2019)
- What’s Wrong with “Costly Apparel?” (4/3/2019)
- How Do I Know If I’m Worthy to Take the Sacrament? (3/24/2019)
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About the Sacrament? (3/20/2019)
- How Do Book of Mormon Prophets Use the Title “Savior?” (3/11/2019)
- Why Does the Book of Mormon Quote from the Bible? (1/20/2019)
- What Does It Mean to Search the Scriptures? (1/5/2019)
- The Redemption of Man – Mormon 9:12-14 (9/20/2018)
- Your Nakedness Before God – Mormon 9:5-6 (5/31/2017)
- That Which Hath No Life – Mormon 8:39 (5/30/2017)
- Greater Things Than These – Mormon 8:12 (5/30/2017)
- Why Do Ye Adorn Yourselves with That which Hath No Life? – Mormon 8:39 (12/13/2016)
- The Sick and the Afflicted – Mormon 8:37-39 (12/5/2016)
- Ye Would Be More Miserable – Mormon 9:4 (2/26/2016)
- A God of Miracles – Moroni 9:19-21 (11/27/2015)
- That Which Hath No Life – Mormon 8:39 (11/26/2015)
- Whither I Go It Mattereth Not – Mormon 8:4 (11/26/2015)
- Mormon 8:12 Whoso Receiveth This Record, and Shall Not Condemn It… (12/16/2014)