13 And behold, in the end of this book ye shall see that this Gadianton did prove the overthrow, yea, almost the entire destruction of the people of Nephi.
14 Behold I do not mean the end of the book of Helaman, but I mean the end of the book of Nephi, from which I have taken all the account which I have written.
- Their objective was to circumvent the law by hiding and protecting members of their group who committed crimes. The event which gave rise to the organization was the assassination of Pahoran by Kishkumen (Helaman 1:9-11).
- They “did mingle themselves among the people, in a manner that they all could not be found” (Helaman 1:12).
- The members of the band were motivated by a desire for power and authority over the people (Helaman 2:5).
- They had secret signs which enabled them to identify one another (Helaman 2:7).
- They had an escape plan: when the group began to be infiltrated by the government, they were able to quickly evacuate as a group into the wilderness (Helaman 2:11).
Today, I will behave with honesty and integrity, even if doing so jeopardizes my acceptance within a group. I will avoid any form of dishonesty, particularly when it serves to prevent people from being accountable for their actions.