133 – “Prepare Ye”
Originally intended as an appendix (or epilogue) to the Book of Commandments, Doctrine and Covenants 133 is a patchwork of biblical quotations and paraphrases. This remarkable revelation blends Old and New Testament passages seamlessly as it declares the following messages:
- The Savior (the Bridegroom) will return to the earth suddenly, so we need to prepare.
- God has sent the everlasting gospel to help us be ready.
- We must separate ourselves from wickedness (spiritual Babylon).
- When the Savior returns, we will recognize His lovingkindness toward us.
Here are some blog posts relating to the biblical passages quoted in this revelation:
- What Are the “Vessels of the Lord?” (v. 5)
- “Go Ye Forth of Babylon” – 1 Nephi 20:20 (v. 7)
- Enlarge the Place of Thy Tent – 3 Nephi 22:1-3 (v. 9)
- The Mountain of the Lord’s House – 2 Nephi 12:2-3 (v. 13)
- They Shall Not Go Out in Haste, Nor Go By Flight – 3 Nephi 21:26-29 (v. 15)
- Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord – 1 Nephi 10:8 (v. 17)
- “Cut Off from Among the People” (v. 63)
- What Is the Day of Burning Spoken of by Malachi? (v. 64)
- 2 Nephi 7:1-3 Is My Hand Shortened at All That I Cannot Redeem? (v. 67-70)
134 – Church and State
After enduring severe persecution in Missouri, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints adopted a declaration which clarified their beliefs about government. The document affirmed the following:
- Governments are instituted for our benefit, and they have an obligation to protect life, liberty, and property (v. 1-3).
- Governments should not interfere with religious practices (v. 4, 7, 9).
- Citizens should sustain their governments, respect government officials, and uphold the law (v. 5-6, 8, 11-12).
Here are some blog posts about governments: