Between November and December 1832, Joseph Smith received specific revelation about multiple topics:
- CHURCH ADMINISTRATION (Doctrine and Covenants 85): How to manage inheritances for church members who refused to consecrate their properties. The Lord answered the question while clarifying the duties of the clerk, including the responsibility for accurate record-keeping.
- SCRIPTURAL INTERPRETATION (Doctrine and Covenants 86): The meaning of the parable of the wheat and tares. (See Matthew 13:24-30.) The Lord explained the meaning of the symbols in the parable, and then related those symbols to us. It is important for us to be patient. Many injustices won’t be resolved until later.
- POLITICAL TURMOIL (Doctrine and Covenants 87): What to do about the Nullification Crisis, a standoff between the state of South Carolina and the federal government of the United States which dominated headlines at the time. The Lord explained that war would come but reiterated the principle that His disciples should “stand…in holy places, and be not moved.”
Here are some blog posts relating to some of the major themes of these sections:
- Remembering spiritual experiences strengthens our faith: Record-keeping.
- A written record of our lives can help us see the hand of the Lord more clearly: What Is the “Book of Remembrance” Mentioned by Malachi?
- Taking the time and making the effort to record a spiritual experience is a way of showing that it is important to us: Bring Forth the Record Which Ye Have Kept – 3 Nephi 23:7-9.
- Waiting is a key component of discipleship: “They Shall Not Be Ashamed That Wait for Me” – 1 Nephi 21:23, 2 Nephi 6:7.
- We should be eager to do God’s work but also willing to submit to the Lord’s timing: Until the Time Should Come.
- As we share the gospel with others, we need to slow down, pay attention to their needs and abilities, and remember that learning takes time: Ye Shall Be Patient – Alma 17:11.
- Our homes can be places of refuge and peace in a troubled world: Holy Places.
- The ultimate goal of creating sacred spaces is for us to become more holy: A House of Prayer.
- Every home can be a place where the Spirit of the Lord dwells: Upon Every Dwelling Place – 2 Nephi 14:5.
- Those who recognize the importance of the temple are eager to visit: The Mountain of the Lord’s House – 2 Nephi 12:2-3.