14 And there were no gifts from the Lord, and the Holy Ghost did not come upon any, because of their wickedness and unbelief.
15 And I, being fifteen years of age and being somewhat of a sober mind, therefore I was visited of the Lord, and tasted and knew of the goodness of Jesus.
16 And I did endeavor to preach unto this people, but my mouth was shut, and I was forbidden that I should preach unto them; for behold they had wilfully rebelled against their God; and the beloved disciples were taken away out of the land, because of their iniquity.
17 But I did remain among them, but I was forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts; and because of the hardness of their hearts the land was cursed for their sake.
I’m interested in the contrast between Mormon and the rest of the people in these verses.
Mormon “was visited of the Lord” because he was “somewhat of a sober mind.” I have to believe that this includes being humble, level-headed, not easily overcome by fear or anger, but having good judgement.
The people generally, on the other hand, did not receive gifts from the Lord, did not receive the Holy Ghost, and did not even hear the preaching of the righteous people among them. Mormon and “the beloved disciples” (probably meaning the three Nephites) were “forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts.”
Today, I will seek to follow Mormon’s example. I will be open to interactions with my Heavenly Father, whether they come in the form of “gifts,” the companionship of the Holy Ghost, or words of prophets. I will avoid having a hard heart and will strive instead to have a “sober mind.”
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About the Sacrament?
- Why Did the Disciples Pray to Jesus in 3 Nephi 19?
- How Is Jesus Both “the Father and the Son?”
- How Is Jesus Christ “the Light and the Life of the World?”
- What Is the Significance of the Name “Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace?”
- What Is the Significance of the Name “Immanuel?”
- Why Is Jesus Called “the Good Shepherd?”
- What Is the Significance of the Title “the Lord Omnipotent?”
- What Is the Significance of the Title “the Mighty One of Jacob?”
- How Do Book of Mormon Prophets Use the Title “Savior?”
- Moroni 4:3, 5:2 The Sacrament Prayers
- Are We Not All Beggars? - Mosiah 4:19-21
- He Will Take Upon Him... - Alma 7:11-13
- In Their Arms, and...Upon Their Shoulders - 2 Nephi 6:6-7
- Behold Your Little Ones - 3 Nephi 17:23
- Has the Day of Miracles Ceased? - Moroni 7:35-37
- The Blessed and Happy State - Mosiah 2:41
- Thou Hast Sought Me Diligently, with Lowliness of Heart - 1 Nephi 2:19-20