14 And there were no gifts from the Lord, and the Holy Ghost did not come upon any, because of their wickedness and unbelief.
15 And I, being fifteen years of age and being somewhat of a sober mind, therefore I was visited of the Lord, and tasted and knew of the goodness of Jesus.
16 And I did endeavor to preach unto this people, but my mouth was shut, and I was forbidden that I should preach unto them; for behold they had wilfully rebelled against their God; and the beloved disciples were taken away out of the land, because of their iniquity.
17 But I did remain among them, but I was forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts; and because of the hardness of their hearts the land was cursed for their sake.
I’m interested in the contrast between Mormon and the rest of the people in these verses.
Mormon “was visited of the Lord” because he was “somewhat of a sober mind.” I have to believe that this includes being humble, level-headed, not easily overcome by fear or anger, but having good judgement.
The people generally, on the other hand, did not receive gifts from the Lord, did not receive the Holy Ghost, and did not even hear the preaching of the righteous people among them. Mormon and “the beloved disciples” (probably meaning the three Nephites) were “forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts.”
Today, I will seek to follow Mormon’s example. I will be open to interactions with my Heavenly Father, whether they come in the form of “gifts,” the companionship of the Holy Ghost, or words of prophets. I will avoid having a hard heart and will strive instead to have a “sober mind.”
- Unto Three Shall They Be Shown – Ether 5:2-3
- He That Will Not Believe My Words Will Not Believe Me – Ether 4:12
- Mormon’s Final Message – Mormon 7
- Moroni’s First Message to His Modern Readers – Mormon 8-9
- The Redemption of Man – Mormon 9:12-14
- From Whence Their Blessings Come – Mormon 5:10
- Without Sail or Anchor – Mormon 5:17-18
- Rolled Together as a Scroll – Mormon 5:23
- The Judgment-Seat of Christ – Mormon 3:20, 22
- Turn, All Ye Gentiles – 3 Nephi 30:2
- Moroni 4:3, 5:2 The Sacrament Prayers
- They Laughed Us to Scorn - Alma 26:23-26
- I Have Fasted and Prayed Many Days - Alma 5:45-46
- After the Trial of Your Faith - Ether 12:6
- If All Men Had Been...Like Unto Moroni - Alma 48:11-13, 17
- Every Thing Which Inviteth and Enticeth to Do Good - Moroni 7:13
- The Blessed and Happy State - Mosiah 2:41
- All Thy Work - Mosiah 13:16-19