14 And there were no gifts from the Lord, and the Holy Ghost did not come upon any, because of their wickedness and unbelief.
15 And I, being fifteen years of age and being somewhat of a sober mind, therefore I was visited of the Lord, and tasted and knew of the goodness of Jesus.
16 And I did endeavor to preach unto this people, but my mouth was shut, and I was forbidden that I should preach unto them; for behold they had wilfully rebelled against their God; and the beloved disciples were taken away out of the land, because of their iniquity.
17 But I did remain among them, but I was forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts; and because of the hardness of their hearts the land was cursed for their sake.
I’m interested in the contrast between Mormon and the rest of the people in these verses.
Mormon “was visited of the Lord” because he was “somewhat of a sober mind.” I have to believe that this includes being humble, level-headed, not easily overcome by fear or anger, but having good judgement.
The people generally, on the other hand, did not receive gifts from the Lord, did not receive the Holy Ghost, and did not even hear the preaching of the righteous people among them. Mormon and “the beloved disciples” (probably meaning the three Nephites) were “forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts.”
Today, I will seek to follow Mormon’s example. I will be open to interactions with my Heavenly Father, whether they come in the form of “gifts,” the companionship of the Holy Ghost, or words of prophets. I will avoid having a hard heart and will strive instead to have a “sober mind.”
- The Fulness of the Gentiles – 3 Nephi 16:4
- One Fold, and One Shepherd – 3 Nephi 15:21
- This Is the Law and the Prophets – 3 Nephi 14:12
- I Never Knew You – 3 Nephi 14:21-23
- They Have Their Reward – 3 Nephi 13:2, 5, 16
- Whosoever Is Angry with His Brother – 3 Nephi 12:21-22
- More Blessed Are They Who Shall Believe in Your Words – 3 Nephi 12:1-2
- The Spirit of Contention – 3 Nephi 11:29-30
- I Am the Light and the Life of the World – 3 Nephi 9:18, 3 Nephi 11:11
- The Places of Your Dwellings Shall Become Desolate – 3 Nephi 9:6-7