5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.
- After you are baptized, you don’t have to figure things out on your own. You have received the gift of the Holy Ghost, which entitles you to guidance from the third member of the Godhead. He will show you what to do if you are receptive to His voice. Twice in the chapter, Nephi chastises us for pondering. We know that pondering can be a good thing, but Nephi is teaching us that thinking things through is no substitute for seeking revelation from God.
- Being receptive is not the same thing as being passive. To hear His voice, you need to:
- ask the Father for guidance,
- feast upon the words of Christ, and
- make an effort to understand what you are being told to do.
- Even after you know what to do, you are still not alone. You can ask Heavenly Father to bless your actions that they might be beneficial and effective.