During the Savior’s ministry on the American continent, He taught the people, but He also served them in other ways, including:
- Healing the sick (3 Nephi 17:6-10)
- Blessing their children (3 Nephi 17:11-12, 21-24)
- Praying with and for them (3 Nephi 17:13-20, 3 Nephi 19:15-36)
- Administering the sacrament (3 Nephi 18:1-16)
He also gave His twelve disciples some time to teach and to baptize before His return on the second day (3 Nephi 19:4-14).
Here are some principles I have learned from studying this portion of the Savior’s ministry:
How to minister
- We follow the Savior’s example by serving others in an active, practical way: What Does It Mean to Minister?
- We should focus on individuals, learn to respond to their verbal and non-verbal messages, find ways to relieve their suffering, and empower them to teach and serve effectively: What Can I Learn from Jesus Christ’s Ministry on the American Continent?
- Even if we can’t see them, angels are nearby, providing guidance, encouragement, and support: What Is the Ministering of Angels?
- The Savior feels compassion and empathy deeply and intensely: What Are “Bowels of Mercy?”
- We need to pay attention to the people around us, see them as they really are, and not take them for granted: Behold Your Little Ones – 3 Nephi 17:23.
How to pray
- Our prayers need not be limited to words alone: The Things Which He Prayed Cannot Be Written – 3 Nephi 17:15-17
- Leave space in your prayers to listen and to feel: They Did Not Multiply Many Words – 3 Nephi 19:24
- Family prayer can be a unifying and spiritually uplifting experience: What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About Family Prayer?
- We should be vigilant—aware of the risks and the dangers we face—and ask God to help us with those risks and dangers: What Does It Mean to “Watch and Pray?”
- Follow the guidance of the Spirit as you pray, and strive to align your will with the will of the Savior: Why Did the Disciples Pray to Jesus in 3 Nephi 19?
- Some prayers are more formal than others. Those formal prayers can teach us to align our will more closely with the will of God: Why Are Some Prayers Fixed (the Sacrament Prayers, for Example) in Contrast to Our Normal Prayers?
How to partake of the sacrament
- Partaking of the sacrament frequently helps us remember the Savior and receive the Holy Ghost: What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About the Sacrament?
- The sacrament prayers consist of a petition, a statement of purpose, and a set of promises: What Can We Learn from the Sacrament Prayers?
- Participating fully in the sacrament can satisfy our spiritual hunger and thirst and lead us toward eternal life: What Does It Mean to Eat and Drink the Bread and Water to Our Souls?
- Most of the words in the sacrament prayers come directly from the instructions the Savior gave when He introduced the sacrament to the Nephites and the Lamanites: Where Did the Sacrament Prayers Come From?
- Prepare to receive the sacrament by examining yourself, contemplating your own spiritual progress, and repenting as needed: How Do I Know If I’m Worthy to Take the Sacrament?
How to manage my time
- It’s important to prioritize people over schedules and to-do lists: Bring Them Hither – 3 Nephi 17:1-7
- Be responsive to the needs of the people around you, even if it means adjusting your schedule: How Can I Manage Time More Effectively?
How to teach (and learn)
- Remember that learning is an active process. A good teacher helps the students fulfill their role in the learning process: Prepare Your Minds – 3 Nephi 17:1-3
- Take time to think deeply about the gospel and follow questions wherever they lead with a willing mind: What Does It Mean to Ponder?
How to participate in General Conference
- Listen with an open mind, and ask God for additional understanding: How Can I Prepare to Hear the Words of Prophets?
- Review what you learn, take time to fully understand, and fulfill assignments you receive: What Should I Do After I Hear the Words of Prophets?
How to receive the healing power of Jesus Christ
- Jesus can heal all of our wounds: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. We need to exercise faith in Him, ask Him to heal us, and then patiently trust that it will happen: How Can I Be Healed?
Leave a Reply