Alma ended his sermon to the people of Ammonihah with an impressive elaboration on Psalm 95:7-11. Incorporating the topics of premortal life and priesthood authority, he explained how to enter into “the rest of the Lord” (Alma 13).
Tragically, the sermon was followed by an atrocity. The citizens of the community who did not believe Alma’s words brutally murdered those who did—including women and children. They also imprisoned and abused Alma and Amulek, until the Lord intervened on their behalf (Alma 14).
Here is a summary of the sermon in Ammonihah: Alma and Amulek’s Sermon in Ammonihah – Alma 9-13.
Here are some blog posts relevant to this week’s chapters:
How to enter into “the rest of the Lord”
- Discovering our unique missions in life: What Is Foreordination?
- Becoming worthy to serve:What Is a “Preparatory Redemption?”
- Organizing the work of God: What Does It Mean to Be Ordained?
- Tangible faith: Why Are Ordinances Important?
- A prince of peace: Who Was Melchizedek?
- Cleansed and sanctified: What Is a High Priest?
- Drawing liberally on the Savior’s power: What Is the Priesthood?
- Repenting every day: Why Is It Important Not to Procrastinate Repentance?
- Overcoming the anxieties, irritations, and disappointments of life: That Ye May Also Enter into That Rest – Alma 13:12-13
Ministering to others effectively
- Trust God’s timing: Our Work Is Not Yet Finished – Alma 14:12-13
- Focus on the root cause, not the symptoms: Seeing a Great Check – Alma 15:17-18
- Seek guidance through revelation: Having Heard That He Had the Spirit of Prophecy – Alma 16:5-6
- Don’t judge the people you teach: Without Any Respect of Persons – Alma 16:13-14, 16-17
- Share the gospel continually: As Many as Would Hear Their Words – Alma 16:14