Nephi asked his younger brother Jacob to teach the people, using a passage from Isaiah as his text (2 Nephi 6:4). The sermon Jacob delivered is recorded in 2 Nephi 6-10. It focuses on two major themes: the gathering of Israel and the Savior’s Atonement.
Here is my overview of the sermon:
The sermon divides into five sections:
- Introduction: God will gather those who have been scattered (Isaiah 49:22-26) (2 Nephi 6).
- Isaiah 50: A “servant song” about the Savior’s endurance in the face of persecution (2 Nephi 7).
- Isaiah 51 and 52:1-2: God’s people can have confidence in His power to redeem them (2 Nephi 8).
- The Savior’s sacrifice provides a way to overcome both death and hell. But we must humble ourselves and repent in order to be prepared to return to God’s presence (2 Nephi 9).
- The promises of God to the children of Israel also apply to Jacob and his people on the American continent (2 Nephi 10).
Key Concepts in Jacob’s Sermon
- I Am Desirous for the Welfare of Your Souls – 2 Nephi 6:3
- Shall the Prey Be Taken from the Mighty? – 2 Nephi 6:16-18
- He Waketh Morning by Morning – 2 Nephi 7:4-5
- All Ye that Kindle Fire – 2 Nephi 7:10-11
- Look unto the Rock from Whence Ye Are Hewn – 2 Nephi 8:1-3
- Put on Thy Strength – 2 Nephi 8:24-25
- Who Art Thou, That Thou Shouldst Be Afraid of Man? – 2 Nephi 8:12-13
- My Salvation Shall Be Forever – 2 Nephi 8:6
- That Ye Might Know Concerning the Covenants of the Lord – 2 Nephi 9:1-3
- They Who Have Endured the Crosses of the World – 2 Nephi 9:18
- 2 Nephi 9:42-43 The Wise, and the Learned, and They That Are Rich
- Come Buy and Eat – 2 Nephi 9:50-51
- That Which Will Give Them the True Knowledge of Their Redeemer – 2 Nephi 10:2
- And Also from Everlasting Death – 2 Nephi 10:25
- We Are Not Cast Off – 2 Nephi 10:20-22
- 2 Nephi 10:24 Reconcile Yourselves to the Will of God
- How Is the Word “Atonement” Used in the Book of Mormon?