Shortly after the death of his brother, Nephi, Jacob delivered this sermon. He didn’t enjoy delivering it, but he knew it was his responsibility to do so, because of his calling as a priest and a teacher (Jacob 1:17-19).
Jacob’s objective was to urge the people of Nephi to repent of two sins which were beginning to appear among them: pride and adultery.
- Introduction: I am under obligation to deliver this message to you (Jacob 2:2-11).
- Pride: “Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance” (Jacob 2:12-19).
- Adultery: “There shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none” (Jacob 2:20-35).
- To the pure in heart: “Look unto God with firmness of mind…, and he will console you in your afflictions” (Jacob 3:1-2).
- To the impure: Follow the example of your enemies, the Lamanites, who are building strong families (Jacob 3:3-10).
- Final plea: Wake up and repent (Jacob 3:11).
This sermon is fundamentally about relationships:
- The Nephites had poor relationships among themselves because wealthy people looked down on those who were less affluent.
- Many of the men were harming their most valuable relationships by betraying the trust of their wives and children.
- Their extreme prejudice against the Lamanites, had caused them to overlook the positive characteristics of Lamanite civilization, including their commitment to building strong families.
Today, I will improve my relationships with other people. I will choose to see all people as equal—valued sons and daughters of God. I will take seriously the trust my family has placed in me as a husband and a father. And I will make an effort to learn from and celebrate the positive attributes of the people around me.
Blog Posts about Jacob’s Second Sermon
- “Will Ye Persist in Supposing That Ye Are Better One Than Another?” – Alma 5:54 (6/4/2020)
- “I Have Spoken Unto You Plainly” – Alma 5:43 (6/3/2020)
- “That I Might Rid My Garments of Your Blood” – Mosiah 2:27-28 (4/17/2020)
- “The Pleasing Word of God” – Jacob 2:8, Jacob 3:2 (3/14/2020)
- “A Hundredth Part” – Jacob 3:13 (3/13/2020)
- “All Flesh Is of the Dust” – Jacob 2:21 (3/12/2020)
- “Tender and Chaste and Delicate” – Jacob 2:7 (3/10/2020)
- What Does the Book of Mormon Refute? (12/29/2019)
- What Should I Do When Prophetic Teachings Are Difficult to Understand or Accept? (10/6/2019)
- Why Is It Important to Lift Up Our Heads? (9/7/2019)
- What Is Pride? (9/2/2019)
- What Should I Think About? (8/24/2019)
- What Does It Mean to Seek the Kingdom of God? (7/30/2019)
- How Should I Deal with Anxiety? (7/10/2019)
- How Can I Be a Better Father? (6/17/2019)
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About Fear? (5/8/2019)
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About Racism? (4/29/2019)
- What Does It Mean to Be Sober? (4/20/2019)
- What Should I Do About Economic Inequality? (4/5/2019)
- What’s Wrong with “Costly Apparel?” (4/3/2019)
- Ye Have Grieved Their Hearts – Jacob 3:10 (6/14/2018)
- Ye Have Broken the Hearts…and Lost the Confidence – Jacob 2:35 (6/13/2018)
- Stiff Necks and High Heads – Jacob 2:13-14 (6/12/2018)
- How Much Better Are You Than They? – Jacob 3:7 (8/30/2017)
- Ye Are Beginning to Labor in Sin – Jacob 2:5 (8/29/2017)
- Their Husbands Love Their Wives – Jacob 3:7 (11/15/2016)
- If Your Minds Are Firm – Jacob 3:1-2 (4/1/2015)
- I, the Lord God, Delight in the Chastity of Women – Jacob 2:28 (3/31/2015)
- Let Not This Pride of Your Hearts Destroy Your Souls -Jacob 2:16 (3/29/2015)