7 Now it came to pass that while Amalickiah had thus been obtaining power by fraud and deceit, Moroni, on the other hand, had been preparing the minds of the people to be faithful unto the Lord their God.
8 Yea, he had been strengthening the armies of the Nephites, and erecting small forts, or places of resort; throwing up banks of earth round about to enclose his armies, and also building walls of stone to encircle them about, round about their cities and the borders of their lands; yea, all round about the land.
9 And in their weakest fortifications he did place the greater number of men; and thus he did fortify and strengthen the land which was possessed by the Nephites.
10 And thus he was preparing to support their liberty, their lands, their wives, and their children, and their peace, and that they might live unto the Lord their God, and that they might maintain that which was called by their enemies the cause of Christians.
- He prepared their minds. While Mormon doesn’t elaborate on how Moroni did this, it seems likely that he spoke to the people as he had in Alma 46:20-27, inspiring them and fortifying their resolve.
- He had them prepare places of defense, “throwing up banks of earth…and also building walls of stone” around their cities and other strategic locations.
- He allocated his resources wisely, sending more people to the locations that would be hardest to defend.
- I can prepare my mind by considering the kinds of challenges we are likely to experience this year and by visualizing how I will respond to those challenges.
- I can prepare places of defense in my life by organizing my environments at home and at work to facilitate the activities of the year.
- I can allocate resources effectively by establishing an effective schedule which enables me to dedicate sufficient time and energy to the activities that matter most, particularly my responsibilities as a husband and father.