Mormon makes it a point to tell us that this event occurred only after every one of the attackers had physically and verbally abused them one last time. In other words, before God intervened on behalf of Alma and Amulek, He allowed the men who were about to die this final choice. Not one of them could later say, “I was just an innocent bystander,” or, “I was an accomplice, not an actual criminal.” None of them had an alibi; there was no question about their involvement.
When God allows people to harm us or to harm those we love, we naturally wonder why He does not intervene. Like Amulek, we might wonder why God doesn’t always save the innocent from the brutality of the wicked. Part of the answer is that the Final Judgement must be perfectly just. He gives all of His children the ability to make real choices in this life, even choices that harm other people, in order to ensure that His final decision on their fate is incontrovertible. In the long run, perfect justice will prevail, but in the short run, we are all given opportunities to make decisions that have real-life consequences for ourselves and for other people.
Today I will maintain an eternal perspective as I observe the actions of others. Particularly when I see people harming others, I will remember that the temporary injustices of life will all be resolved in the end and that our ultimate judgement will be an accurate reflection of the decisions we make each day.
- He Consecrated All Their Priests and All Their Teachers – Mosiah 23:16-18
- They Were Called the Church of God – Mosiah 18:16-17
- He Should Take the Names – Mosiah 6:1-2
- I Would That Ye Should Take Upon You the Name of Christ – Mosiah 5:7-8
- They Had Brought No Records with Them – Omni 1:17-19
- Thy Fathers Have Also Required of Me This Thing – Enos 1:16-18
- They Did Prick Their Hearts – Jarom 1:11-12
- They Searched the Scriptures – Jacob 7:23
- We Did Magnify Our Office unto the Lord – Jacob 1:19
- Priests and Teachers – 2 Nephi 5:26, Jacob 1:18
- Shake Off the Awful Chains with Which Ye Are Bound - 2 Nephi 1:13
- Much Dispute and Wonderful Contentions - Alma 2:2-5
- Witnesses of God - Mosiah 18:8-10
- The Large and Spacious Building - 1 Nephi 12:18
- Moroni 4:3, 5:2 The Sacrament Prayers
- Their Souls Are Precious - Alma 31:35
- The Allegory of the Olive Tree - Jacob 5
- Mosiah 7:18 An Effectual Struggle
- Restored unto Grace for Grace - Helaman 12:24