9 He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death.
Today, I’m pondering some of the ways that the Savior gives us light and life. Some of these thoughts were inspired by a talk given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks in October, 1987, entitled “The Light and Life of the World.”
- The Light of Christ enlightens everyone that comes into the world (D&C 93:2). It helps us recognize truth and goodness. One manifestation of the Light of Christ is our conscience.
- The Savior set an example for us to follow by living a perfect life (3 Nephi 18:16).
- His laws and commandments teach us how to live a happy and fulfilling life (3 Nephi 15:9).
- His power expands our capacity to understand the world around us. When Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon saw the Lord in the Kirtland Temple, they testified, “The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened” (D&C 110:1).
- He “[broke] the bands of death” (Mosiah 16:7). We will all be resurrected because He rose from the grave.
- He made it possible for us to inherit eternal life (Mosiah 16:4). The only way for us to overcome our sins, be sanctified, and return to live with our Heavenly Father is through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
- He empowers us to live each day with more enthusiasm and joy. He said, “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly” (John 10:10).
Today, I will remember the many ways that Jesus Christ is the light and the life of our world.