And now, my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off; nevertheless, we have been driven out of the land of our inheritance; but we have been led to a better land, for the Lord has made the sea our path, and we are upon an isle of the sea.
(2 Nephi 10:20)
The title page of the Book of Mormon states that one of its purposes is to “show unto the remnant of the house of Israel…that they are not cast off forever.” Jacob goes even a step further in this verse: sometimes, when you feel that you have been cast off, you haven’t been cast off at all. Change is hard, and even change for the better can feel discouraging and disorienting. But Jacob reminds his people in this verse that, in leaving their homes and the “land of [their] inheritance” (where they presumably had expected to live forever), they were in fact being “led to a better land.”
Today, I will recognize the ways that the Lord is guiding my life. When things don’t happen according to my plans, instead of letting that discourage me, I will consider the possibility that the Lord is leading me to a better place.
- What Is a Saint?
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach About the Resurrection?
- What Does It Mean to Be Sober?
- Why Are “Envyings” Associated with “Strife?”
- What Does It Mean to Do Something with “Real Intent?”
- What Guidance Does the Book of Mormon Provide About Recognizing the Holy Ghost?
- How Does God Communicate with Us?
- Why Do We Need Prophets?
- Why Is Firsthand Spiritual Knowledge Important?
- Why Is It Good to Be Submissive?
- Moroni 4:3, 5:2 The Sacrament Prayers
- Moroni 10:32-33 Come Unto Christ, and Be Perfected in Him
- He Will Take Upon Him... - Alma 7:11-13
- What Is It That Ye Shall Hope For? - Moroni 7:41
- Alma Teaches Shiblon - Alma 38
- I Will Go - 1 Nephi 3:7
- I Have Fasted and Prayed Many Days - Alma 5:45-46
- If All Men Had Been...Like Unto Moroni - Alma 48:11-13, 17
- Lessons from Sermons to Family Members