During the first week of 2020, we are studying the introductory pages of the Book of Mormon—all of the content which precedes 1 Nephi.
What is in these pages?
- The Title Page of the Book of Mormon lays out the purposes of the book.
- The Introduction provides some background information about the book and an invitation for all who read it.
- The Testimony of Three Witnesses, who heard the voice of God affirming that the book was translated by His power. They also saw an angel, who showed them the metal plates with engravings containing the original text of the book.
- The Testimony of Eight Witnesses, who were shown the plates by Joseph Smith, and who were allowed to examine and touch the plates.
- The Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, in which he describes how he came into possession of the plates. This text also appears in Joseph Smith—History 1:29-35, 42-54, 59-60.
- A Brief Explanation About the Book of Mormon describes the structure of the book and explains four different sets of plates which contain content included in the book.