26 And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved.
I love verses like this one which offer a concise formula for salvation:
- Come unto Christ – Seek to have a relationship with Him. Make covenants with Him.
- Partake of…the power of His redemption – We can’t save ourselves. We are saved by taking action to receive the gift that only He can give.
- Offer your whole souls – Here’s the action we must take to receive the gift. Why? It’s in the nature of the gift itself. The Atonement will save us by transforming us into celestial people. But it won’t transform us unless we are willing to be transformed. Here’s how C. S. Lewis described it in the book Mere Christianity: “Christ says ‘Give me All. I don’t want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don’t want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down. I don’t want to drill the tooth, or crown it, or stop it, but to have it out. Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked—the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead.'”
- Continue in fasting and praying – It doesn’t happen all at once. This isn’t a sprint, and you can’t cram for the final exam. The change happens gradually over time as you invest in it consistently.
- Endure to the end – Keep going, and stay on the path in spite of challenges, doubts, and opposition. Prove to yourself and to your Heavenly Father that you can be trusted to keep your covenants. Don’t stop trying. Don’t give up.
Today, I will partake of the power of salvation by offering the Lord everything I have and am and by being willing to participate fully in the transformational experiences He sees fit to send me.