In 2019, I’ve decided to organize my Book of Mormon study around questions.
Please take a moment to submit one or more questions that I can use in my study using the form below. I look forward to receiving, pondering, and studying your questions.
Here are some questions which are already on the list:
- Why did Alma baptize himself? (Mosiah 18:14)
- Why did Jared always have his brother pray for things in Ether 1? Why wouldn’t he just pray himself, and why wouldn’t his brother pray for those things without being asked?
- In 2 Nephi 2:15, it says: “It must needs be there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter.” How is the tree of life bitter?
- What does it mean that the sons of Levi will offer an offering in righteousness (3 Nephi 24:3, Malachi 3:3)?
- How can people say they “know” that spiritual things are true (1 Nephi 1:3, Alma 40:9)? What is the relationship between knowledge, faith, and belief?
- What does the Book of Mormon teach about being an effective parent?
- What does the Book of Mormon teach about leadership?
- What does God expect me to do about economic inequality?
- What happens immediately after we die?
- How can I improve a troubled relationship with a family member or close friend?
- What does it mean when the Lord put a cursing upon the skins of the Lamanites? And when he talks about the Nephites being pure and delightsome? Do those passages condone racism?
- Is there additional meaning in some of the awkward verbiage in the scriptures…phrases like “an hungered” and “your father, which” (not who)?
- Who wrote the title page of the Book of Mormon?
- Why is Isaiah quoted so much in the Book of Mormon?
- In what order did Joseph Smith translate the books of the Book of Mormon?
- Why are there so few women in the Book of Mormon?
- What does the Book of Mormon teach about marriage?
- How does the Book of Mormon clarify the relationship between grace and works in our salvation?
- What guidance does the Book of Mormon provide about recognizing and following the Holy Ghost?
- What are the lessons I am to take away from the “war chapters”?
- Could you break down the Isaiah chapters and how they relate to Nephi and his family and in turn to us? Kind of an Isaiah for Dummies approach.
- Why did Nephi baptize himself before baptizing the 12 apostles at the time of Jesus’ appearance in 3Nephi?
- Why were the people who were preserved from the destruction before Christ’s appearance need to be baptized again?
- Why does it seem that the Nephite dissenters were baptized again and again when preached to by Alma, Alma Jr., Amulek and Ammon etc? Or were those people never baptized in the first place?